Monday, February 06, 2006

Hey Mom, have you finished my poncho yet??


.....ummmmm.......

Guess what? Am I the only one who has not finished her Christmas presents yet? For 2005? I am a terrible mother. I rushed to finish my daughter's sweater (for Christmas), then my father's birthday vest (for BD 12/30), then conveniently left Maersy's poncho waiting.....on the bobbins.....not even on the needles!! I did start to knit a bit of the piece, but since the yarn is doubled, it was used up quickly. She chose one of the ponchos that was presented in the Interweave magazine a few months ago.

I should be better about documenting my sources, but it's just such a task to unearth that particular document from the stack of documents known as my side table. Every day, I look at one more book or pattern book and quickly (and ever so carefully), add it strategically to the teetering pile of books that lives next to me when I knit. Once a week, (or two, or three), I reorganize the pile, put some away, and neaten up the rest. It never fails, though, that it's another teetering mess within three days.

It's a sign of use, I figure.

So here's Maersy's poncho. Still on the bobbins. ..and in the roving bag. It's one of the the precursor projects to the big honkin' dye pot that I got for Christmas. Although not quite as evident in this project, but particularly in the Spinnery sweater, I have not been able to dye my entire batch of roving in the same pot. Since this project is more variegated in nature, it doesn't bother me as much. But with her sweater, I was not happy with the variation in color across my skeins. Of course, it doesn't help that the skeins were not consistent in type of wool, as well. Chalk it up to the learning curve.

Again, I digress. I need to put aside the Nordic sweater, the FLAK re-swatch, the baby sweater swatches, the socks....did I miss anything else?.....and get back to spinning for her Christmas present.

But it IS 9....and I'm really quite tired.....so I think I'll just pull out the easy stuff and just knit without thinking on that for the rest of the evening. Tomorrow morning, Maer...I promise!!

No comments: