Sunday, January 15, 2006

A Brave New World

...and we are brave, indeed! Welcome to the very first post of our very first blog....atleast I think it's our very first blog. In case you ...well, there really isn't anything ELSE to read at this point, so it is likely that you DID read the intro...this blog is by two LEC grads for knitters.....Part of the brave part is that Kate doesn't know yet that she has a blog. I mentioned to her that I had become slightly addicted to *reading* knitting blogs and suggested that we do a blog together. I told her that if we did one together, when it became painfully apparent that I had nothing to show, I could use some of her knittings and just say that I had made THAT as well. If I remember correctly...she said that ..well, more or less....that it was a great idea. Remember that, Kate? It's funny , because she said that I should write a blog because she thought I was the 'funniest damn writer that she ever knew'...which I think is funny, because I always thought SHE was the funniest damn writer that *I* knew. So any way you look at it.....there is hope that it will be, if nothing else.....funny.


As I mentioned, Kate and I met years ago at a little college by the sea...no lake......that would be Lake Erie...or as we used to call it, Lake College for Erie Women..... I was a sweet young thing...and Kate was...well, I'm not sure if I'm able to say what we used to call her at college...I think it was a tongue-in-cheek reputation that she appreciated....it is rather funny to think back on.

I'm sure I never saw Kate with a pair of knitting needles in her hands at the time. Maybe a martini...or a Rolling Rock....or a Genny Cream....but never knitting needles. I'm sure *I* was never seen with knitting needles in those years, either. Knitting is something that until about two years ago I was certainly certain that I did NOT need to be learning, much less have an interest in. It's all a long story, but I know that Kate is a very experienced knitter, and I am not. So I'm sure Kate will let me steal her pictures and have you all ooooh and aaaaah about how clever a knitter I am. ..Works for me...

But even though Kate isn't a...well.....fully INFORMED co-host of this blog, I'm sure she won't mind. She may be too busy to write much for a while. She is preparing to be married this year. She is marrying a man named Leopold, but she just calls him Jim for short. He must be a nice man, because he had the good taste to be asking our Kate to marry him. I think it behooves us, as knitters, to share with her a few warnings about what she is embarking on....as she makes the transition from being an independent woman to sharing a bathroom with a man. But we'll do it kindly and gradually. It just wouldn't be right for us to not warn her about thing like.....well, like things that go quiver in the sink. NO ONE warned ME about THAT one.....and damnit, I would have appreciated it if someone HAD!!! So there, Kate.....my gift to you....a fair warning that you will be witness to things that you were sure you never needed to witness before.

No comments: